Wednesday 31 December 2014

Review of My First Year in the Junior British Bouldering Team Part I



December 2013 I entered the BMC Open Youth Competitions, doing both the leading and bouldering comps. In the leading event I got 1st place but only managed to scrape second place the bouldering.

The following week I was picked for both the GB Junior Lead Climbing Team and Bouldering Teams.  As a cross discipline athlete, I preferred bouldering as most of the competitions clashed.   

It was great as George Morris (also from Wolverhampton) and Jack Ramsden, who I knew from previous competitions, made the team. Also Tommy Mathews who I now know well after sharing a room at Arco.



In February team training was held in Sheffield where we did cross training and had a fitness assessment. It turned out I had problems with my shoulders and was given exercises to improve them. A second team training was held in Sheffield at the end of March.  On the Sunday we went to Stanage, it was my first time there and mum and dad got very lost trying to find it so I was late getting there. 

April saw the second round of the JBBC’s in Glasgow, and I got 1st place. The next day was team training so we tried the older competitor’s problems.
The end of June was another team training and the assessment for 2nd round of the Bouldering Youth Cup in Laengenfeld Austria.  I had a sprained ankle and so could not be picked.  Well done to George and Jack who went though.

July I went to London for the Youth Open.  First was the Leading Competition, where I came 2nd.  Two days later was the Bouldering.  This was my assessment.  I had a chance to be picked for the last European comp of the year; it was also the most important since it was the European Championships.  It was a really interesting comp as I had to do a super final where you fight for 1st place. It was me versus Cameron McLoughlin who had won the leading comp.  Luckily I did well and came 1st.  As it was the 3rd round of the Junior British Bouldering Competition and I had two 1st and a 2nd I became Youth B British Bouldering Champion.  I was also selected to climb at Arco in Italy at the European Youth Championships.

Part II to follow.......


Thanks to my sponsors:  Scarpa & Wild Country

& Wolf Mountain, Boulder Central, Redpoint & Creation Climbing Center where I climb regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment